Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

« Home | answers » | where have all the minutes gone?? » | the flu jab and other bullets » | the results » | did i forget something? » | one year ago today » | butterflies » | pump meeting » | LO » | Tuesday 20/02/2007 09:00 »


Diabetes has been good to me lately - with not too many highs, and very few lows. I have much fewer lows now than I did for months after my diagnosis, though I do think that on average I am running slightly higher. I hope to bring this down, but would prefer it not to be in exchange for more lows... I am still experiencing a bit of issues with my morning numbers. It has settled down a bit, but I think that my evening Levemir dose is not sufficient. This dose was increased in February after an Endo visit (from 10 to 12 units), but I am still seeing a rise in numbers most mornings. I have done a few 2am tests - one which came in in range (with the morning reading being the same as this one), one in range with the morning reading being a bit higher, and one higher than my bed-time reading, and an even higher reading when I woke up. I think I need to do a few more of these before my next appointment at the end of May. I will do an A1C then also, but I am not banking on any improvement there.

Gym has been okay. Nothing more really to say here, other than it is becoming increasingly difficult to drag myself there with the morning becoming darker and colder, making my bed a hell of a lot more comfortable. Traffic also seems to get worse every week...

On the pump front - I am yet to meet with the Roche rep. Hopefully I will do that some time in May. It seems as though the only options available here are Minimed and Roche. Once I have met with Roche rep, I will decide. Costs are going to play a major role in my decision - not so much the cost of the pump, but the monthly consumables. They seem to be quite expensive, and I am not yet sure how my medical aid would cover these. I have been considering changing insurance companies, but changing mid-year is going to be more of a hassle - so I have decided to wait until the end of the year when we are given options to change to different plans or Schemes. If my insurance company refuses to pay, or does not cover enough I will consider changing to another and going onto the pump only then.

Just after I was diagnosed I never would have thought about going onto the pump. I still have a few issues - sleeping with the pump being one of them, but I have been assured that this is not a problem at all. But everyday I realise more and more what the benefits of having a pump would have, and how much more convenient my life could actually be (although I don;t find MDI to be that much of a convenience...). I also believe that if these morning number continue to be higher than my bed-time numbers, and also if they increase, the pump will be the only real solution to solve that problem.

And non-diabetes related - Friday is a holiday - yea!, and so too is Tuesday. I am still considering taking Monday off, to make it an even longer weekend...

Labels: , ,


We have just launched a test version of a new site which you might find of interest

Please go to



Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link