Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

« Home | butterflies » | pump meeting » | LO » | Tuesday 20/02/2007 09:00 » | nearly 1 year » | random » | getting back to normal » | contemplating » | misc » | pros and cons »

one year ago today

After nearly 2,000 insulin injections (WOW!!), and a little less finger pricks, I have had the big D for 365 days (well, more really, but "officially").

It was one year ago today that the finger prick at the pharmacist changed my life forever. It feels like only yesterday, I remember it all very clearly. We were working on a big project at work which was taking up a lot of time. I woke the morning, with not much time for breakfast, so I picked up a vanilla flavoured drinking yoghurt on the way. I stayed at the office for an hour or two and went to the pharmacy. I have been planning on doing it (actually a friend had been nagging me for a few days to go...). She pricked my finger, got a surprised look on my face, wiped another finger and pricked again - wow 2 finger pricks in one day!! I immediately went to a GP, and an hour later I was in hospital.

That all 1 year ago. It really feels like only yesterday, though in some ways diabetes has become such a part of my life that it feels as though I have been doing this for a very long time. In the past year I have learnt a hell of a lot - about the big D, but also other aspects of health. And most likely I have become a much healthier person because of it! I even quit smoking - cold turkey, just like that, in 1 day! That was nearly a year ago - and I can sit amongst other smokers and not want to smoke. I think that is probably one of the best things I have done during this past year!

I have realised how amazing the human body is. And that I need to really take care of it. I must admit, that there were most likely times before all this that I used to think -I am still young blah blah, you know the rest. But the fact is, that the the way we look after ourselves now is probably the most important! I would not say that I am perfect, I take shortcuts, I cheat (it isn't really cheating anyway is it!), but mostly i am living a much healthier life than before.

I had no idea what my life would be like when they told me. I did not really give it much thought. I think things turned out okay!

Labels:

Congrats, I think!
What was the number that so surprised the pharmacist?
I am quit smoking for almost 14 months now, I still find it hard to sit with people smoking. You are very lucky. It was my 25th quit in 5 years and it still sucks some days.
Happy Dia-versary!

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on a job well done so far.

Post a Comment